1999-2004 Ph.D. in Social Anthropology, Freie Universität Berlin. Thesis: “The Power of AIDS. Kinship, Belonging and the Morality of Illness and Death in the Context of Rural-Urban Migration in Tanzania”
1991-98 Magister Studies in Social Anthropology, Freie Universität Berlin. Minor subjects: African Studies and English Studies (both Humboldt Universität Berlin)
1993 Kiswahili Studies on Zanzibar, Institute for Kiswahili and Foreign Languages (Taasisi ya Kiswahili na Lugha za Kigeni)
2005-09 Assistant Professor for African Health and Society (tenure track), University of Florida, Gainesville, Department of Anthropology and Centre for African Studies. (Leave of absence in 2007-09)
2002-2005 Lecturer and Part-time lecturer, FU Berlin, Institute of Social and Cultural Anthropology
1999-2002 Research Associate in the Project "Living with HIV/AIDS in Tanzania", funded by the German Research Foundation (DFG) (PI: Prof. U. Luig), FU Berlin, Institute for Social and Cultural Anthropology
Other Academic Activities
Honors, Grants and Scholarships
- Since 2011 Research Partner of the Max Planck Institute for the Study of Religious and Ethnic Diversity (Göttingen), Division "Medical Diversity"
- 2010-13 Senior Fellow of the Bayreuth International Graduate School of African Studies (BIGSAS)
- 2010 Grant of the German Research Foundation (DFG) for international workshop "Urban Health in sub-Saharan Africa" (Point Sud, Bamako: January 12-15, 2010) (With Dr. Viola Hörbst, Centre for African Studies, Lisbon Universitarian Institute)
- 2009 Grant of the Volkswagen Foundation for international symposium on "Prolonging Life, Challenging Religion? ARVs, New Moralities and the Politics of Social Justice" (Lusaka, April 15-17, 2009). (With Rijk van Dijk, African Studies Centre Leiden; Marian Burchardt, Universität Leipzig; Thera Rasing, University of Zambia). More Info...
- 2007 Senior Researcher, Summer School "Entangled Medical Fields: Transformation of Meaning, Knowledge and Practice"; Libreville, Gabon: July 17-26. Organized by: Centre for Interdisciplinary Research on Africa, Frankfurt (ZIAF), Point Sud, Université de Nantes, Université Omar Bongo; funded by Volkswagen Foundation.
- 2007 Selected participant at the Sixth Berlin Roundtables on Transnationality, topic: "Population Politics, Migration and Human Rights". Organized by the Irmgard Coninx Foundation in collaboration with Wissenschaftszentrum. Berlin (WZB): February 14-20
- 2006 University of Florida, International Center und Office for Research: Conference grant for workshop "Transnational Medicines, Mobile Experts: Rethinking Medicine in and beyond Africa".
- 2005 German Research Foundation (DFG), Grant for Post-Doc Research Project on "Masculinities and AIDS in Cape Town, South Africa". (Declined because of acceptance of position at the University of Florida)
- 2005 Conference Grant by the Volkswagen Foundation and the FU Berlin for International Symposium "AIDS and the Moral Order". (With U. Luig)
- 2004 Geschwister Boehringer Ingelheim Foundation, Book Publication Grant
- 2004 Research Commission of the FU Berlin, Grant for exploratory work for research project "Masculinities and AIDS in Cape Town, South Africa"
- 1999 Heinrich Böll Foundation, Scholarship for Ph.D. Studies (6 months), followed by funding through DFG
- 1993 German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD), Scholarship for Kiswahili Studies on Zanzibar, Taasisi ya Kiswahili na Lugha za Kigeni
Memberships and Positions