Summer Term 2017 (28847) Comparing Arab Media Systems, Tu 12-14, Ihnestr. 21/B
In this seminar students will comparatively analyze media systems in the MENA (Middle East and North Africa) region. The often contradicting developments of modernization and liberalization on the one hand and neo-authoritarian repression and oligarchization on the other hand make these media systems so interesting and worthwhile to be explored. This seminar will make students familiar with the structures, actors and mechanisms that shape these media systems. At the same time, the observed developments will be embedded in broader discussion about theories and methodology of comparison, going beyond the Arab region. Besides the typical reading of scholarly texts, a course-specific eLearning platform (www.areacore.org/ims) will be a main guide for students. Moreover, students in Berlin will engage in joint virtual sessions with Arab students from partner institutes in Iraq, Lebanon, Tunisia, Palestine and other places. Instead of giving course presentations, students are asked to jointly produce additional material for the eLearning platform. The climax of this course will be a workshop with visiting Arab students from July 4 to 7.
Courses of past terms:
- Summer Term 2016: (28847) Comparing Media Systems
- Summer Term 2016: (28822) Journalismus und politische Transformation
- Winter Term 2015/16: (28822) Journalismus und politische Transformation
- Summer Term 2015: (28841 & 28841a) Comparing Media Systems
- Winter Term 2014/15: (28821) Auslandsberichterstattung I.
- Summer Term 2013: (28823) Der Nahostkonflikt und die Medien II.
- Winter Term 2012/13: (28820) Der Nahostkonflikt und die Medien I.
- Summer Term: (28844) Comparing media systems.
- Winter Term 2011/12: Staatliche Public Diplomacy im internationalen Vergleich.
- Summer Term 2011: Zur Transformation der Mediensysteme im Nahen Osten und Nordafrika.
All course material is to be found in Blackboard.
How your seminar paper will be assessed (in German) pdf.