Navigation items and banners
Free University of Amsterdam
Department of Political Science
- D.Phil (PhD) candidate in International Relations, University of Oxford, UK (since 2007); supervisor: Dr. Kalypso Nicolaïdis
- Visiting fellow at the KFG "The Transformative Power of Europe", Freie Universität Berlin (1/2010 - 3/2011)
- M.Phil European Politics and Society, University of Oxford, UK (2005-2007)
- B.A. European Studies, University of Osnabrück (2001-2004)
- Visiting fellowships at the University of Colorado at Boulder, USA (6-8/2010); the Southern African Institute for International Affairs (SAIIA), Johannesburg, South Africa (10-11/2009); the EU Centre in Singapore (8-9/2009); and the Latin American Faculty for Social Sciences (FLACSO), Buenos Aires, Argentina (6-7/2009)
- Internships at the United Nations Economic Commission for Latin America (ECLA), Santiago de Chile; the European Commission Delegation to Chile, Santiago de Chile; and the Willy Brandt Centre, Jerusalem, Israel
Main Fields of Interest
- Comparative Regionalism
- Europe in the World
- IR Theory
KFG Research Project
"Analyzing "Ideational Hegemony": The European Union's Influence on Global Regionalism"
The project seeks to analyze the EU’s influence on regional integration processes in the global South, comparing ASEAN, Mercosur and SADC. It addresses the puzzle of the differential impact of the EU model on regionalism abroad and asks about the mechanisms by which that influence comes about.
Monographs and Edited Volumes
(2011). The EU’s Inescapable Influence on Global Regionalism. Dissertation. Oxford, University of Oxford.
Refereed Articles and Book Chapters
with A. Jetschke (2013). “Does Regionalism Diffuse? A New Research Agenda for the Study of Regional Organizations.” Journal of European Public Policy 20(4): 626-637.
(2012). “Spurred Emulation: The EU and Regional Integration in Mercosur and SADC.” West European Politics 35(1): 155-173.
with A. Jetschke (2011). “Vergleichende Regionalismusforschung und Diffusion: Eine neue Forschungsagenda.” Politische Vierteljahresschrift 52(3): 448-474.
(2009). From Geo-Politics to Geo-Economics: The European Union’s Promotion of Regional Integration in Latin America, 1980 – today. Saarbrücken, VDM.
with M. Bielawski et al. (2006). "Via – Communis Europa: Europe’s Architecture in 2020." WeltTrends 50: 82-90.