- 2001 – 2005: University of Oxford, Department of Politics and International Relations, Degree: D.Phil. in Political Science and International Relations, July 2005, Supervisors: Professor William Beinart, Dr David Turton
- 2000 – 2001: University of Oxford, Department of Politics and International Relations, Degree: M.Sc. in Politics Research, June 2001
- 1999 – 2000: University of East Anglia (Norwich, England), School of Environmental Sciences, Supervisors: Professor Tim O’Riordan, Professor Neil Adger
- 1997 – 1999: Freie Universität Berlin, Otto-Suhr-Institut für Politikwissenschaft, Degree: Diploma in Political Science (M.A.), July 1999, Supervisors: Professor Dr. E. Altvater, Professor Dr. U. Albrecht
- 1995 – 1996: Universität Konstanz (Konstanz, Germany), Fachbereich Politik- und Verwaltungswissenschaft, Degree: Intermediate exam in public administration (Vordiplom in Verwaltungswissenschaften), December 1998.
- 2018 – 2019: Guest Scientist, Disaster Research Unit (DRU), Freie Universität Berlin
- Since 2017: Deputy Director, Centre for Integrated Emergency Management (CIEM), Norway
- Since 2016: Professor, Department of Global Development and Planning, University of Agder
- 2009 – 2016: Associate Professor, Department of Global Development and Planning, University of Agder.
- 2015: Fellow at the Institute for Peace Research and Security Policy, University of Hamburg Project: Climate change, migration and conflict.
- 2014 – 2015: Visiting Scholar at the University of California, Berkeley facilitated by the Peder Sather Center for Advanced Study.
- 2011 – 2011: Visiting Scholar at Columbia University in the City of New York hosted by the School of International and Public Affairs (SIPA).
- 2007 – 2009: Japan Society for the Promotion of Science United Nations University (JSPS-UNU) Postdoctoral Fellow at United Nations University Institute of Advanced Studies in Yokohama, Japan. I worked with the Sustainable Development Governance and the Peace and Governance Programme on climate change and security. During my tenure, my Japanese host was the Department for Value and Decision Science at the Tokyo Institute of Technology (TITech).
- 2007 – 2007: Visiting Scholar at the Earth Institute at Columbia University in the City of New York.
- 2007 – 2007: Economist/Report Writer for the United Nations Development Programme’s Bureau for Crisis Prevention and Recovery (UNDP-BCPR). My task was to write a chapter on conflict recurrence in post-conflict societies for BCPR’s high-profile report Post-Conflict Economic Recovery: Enabling Local Ingenuity, modelled loosely on the Human Development Report, published in 2008.
- 2005 – 2007: Postdoctoral Fellow at the Earth Institute at Columbia University in the City of New York. I was hosted by the Center for International Earth Science Information Network (CIESIN), a research unit specialising in data mapping and management.
- 2004 – 2005: Assistant Professor of political science at the University of Asmara, College of Social Sciences, Department of Political Science.
Academic Services and Memberships:
- 2015: Poster chair and organised panel for 12th International Conference on Information Systems for Crisis Response and Management (ISCRAM), University of Agder, Kristiansand, 24-27 May 2015
- 2013: Reviewer of the Working Group II contribution to the IPCC Fifth Assessment Report (AR5)
- 2010: Organised international conference, Climate Change and Security at the Crossroads, University of Agder, Kristiansand, 20-21 June 2013
- Reviewer for the following peer-reviewed journals: Forum for Development Studies, Geographical Journal, International Journal of Climate Change Strategies and Management, International Security, Journal of Peace Research, Sicherheit & Frieden, Earth Science Dynamics Review
- Memberships: Founding member of Environmental Peacebuilding Academy (invited), European International Studies Association (EISA), Norwegian Association for Development Research NFU), Norwegian Non-fiction Writers And Translators Association (NFF), International Studies Association (ISA) 2007-2014, American Political Science Association (APSA) 2007-2010
Academic Awards and Achievements (Selected)
- 2007 – 2009: Japan Society for the Promotion of Science United Nations University (JSPS-UNU) postdoctoral fellowship
- 2005 – 2007: Postdoctoral fellowship at the Earth Institute, Columbia University
- 2001 – 2003: Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC) Postgraduate Research Studentship, University of Oxford
- 2001 – 2003: ESRC Research Training Support Grant 2001-3, University of Oxford