Dr. Eva Magdalena Stambøl
Freie Universität Berlin
Otto-Suhr Institut für Politikwissenshaft
Arbeitsstelle Transnationale Beziehungen, Außen- und Sicherheitspolitik
Research Project Security Doctrines in a changing World
Eva Magdalena Stambøl is Postdoctoral Researcher working on the project Security Doctrines in a Changing World: Exploring Asian and Western Policy Strategies towards Africa. She obtained a PhD in Criminology from Aalborg University in 2020 with the thesis "External Projection of Internal Security: The EU´s Export of Crime Control to West Africa". She has been a Visiting Researcher at the Brussels School for International Studies (BSIS) of Kent University and the Institute for European Studies (IES) at Vrije Universiteit Brussel. Prior to the PhD, she worked as Researcher at the Norwegian Institute of International Affairs (NUPI), and at the United Nations Interregional Crime and Justice Research Institute (UNICRI). She has fieldwork experience from West Africa (Mali, Niger, Senegal) and Latin America (Colombia, Mexico).
Dr. Eva Magdalena Stambøl's research interests include International security policy, Non-Western approaches to security, Transnational criminal justice, International political sociology and Extra-legal governance.
Publications as of October 2021
Peer Reviewed Articles
- Russo, A. and Stambøl, E.M. (2021) The external dimension of the EU's fight against transnational crime: Transferring political rationalities of crime control. Review of International Studies, online first.
- Stambøl, E.M. (2021) Neo-colonial penality? Travelling penal power and contingent sovereignty. Punishment & Society, 23(4): 536–556.
- Stambøl, E.M. and R. Solhjell (2021) Embodiments and frictions of statehood in transnational criminal justice. Theoretical Criminology, 25(3): 493–510.
- Stambøl, E.M. (2021) Borders as penal transplants: Control of territory, mobility, and illegality in West Africa. Theoretical Criminology, 25(3): 474–492.
- Stambøl, E. M. (2019) The rise of crimefare Europe: Fighting migrant smuggling in West Africa. European Foreign Affairs Review, 24 (3): 287–307.
- Stambøl, E. M. (2016) EU initiatives along the ‘cocaine routes’ to Europe: Fighting drug trafficking and terrorism by proxy? Small Wars & Insurgencies, 27 (2): 302– 324.
- Stambøl, E. M. (2016) Governing cocaine supply and organized crime from Latin America and the Caribbean: The changing security logics in European Union external policy. European Journal on Criminal Policy and Research, 22 (1): 1–18.
- Stambøl, E. M. (2014) Menneskeskerettigheter som brekkstang i internasjonal narkotikapolitikk. [Human Rights as Lever in International Drugs Policy], Materialisten, 1/2014.
- Bøås, M., A. Cissé, A. Diallo, B. Drange, F. Kvammen and E. M. Stambøl (2018) The EU, Security Sector Reform and Border Management in Mali. Working paper on the implementation of EU crisis response in Mali. Report Deliverable 7.4 EUNPACK. Available at.: http://www.eunpack.eu/sites/default/files/publications/2018-01-31%20D7.4%20Working%20paper%20on%20implementation%20of%20EU%20crisis%20response%20in%20Mali.pdf
- Bátora, J., S. Blockmans, E. Ferhatovic, I. Peters, P. Rieker and E. M. Stambøl (2016) Understanding the EU’s Crisis Response Toolbox and Decision-making Processes. Report Deliverable 4.1 EUNPACK. Available at: http://www.eunpack.eu/sites/default/files/publications/Deliverable%204.02.pdf
- Bátora, J., S. Blockmans, E. Ferhatovic, I. Peters, P. Rieker, E. M. Stambøl and S. Kvammen (2016) Best Practices in EU Crisis Response and Policy Implementation. Report Deliverable 4.2 EUNPACK. Available at: http://www.eunpack.eu/sites/default/files/publications/Deliverable%204.1.pdf
- Stambøl, E. M., A. O´Neil, L. Di Censi, F. Fabi, M. Rossi, L. Villandsen and J. Lucas (2015). Estimating the Costs of Illicit Drugs to the Criminal Justice Systems in Poland, Portugal and Spain. Report Deliverable 6.2., WP6 of FP7 Addictions and Lifestyles in Contemporary Europe: Reframing Addictions Project (ALICE RAP).
Policy Briefs and academic blog posts
- Stambøl, E. M. (2021). Border externalization to West Africa: Three logics of border security technologies, Border Criminologies.
- Stambøl, E. M. (2020) ‘How is the EU seeking to contain ‘irregular’ migration from the Sahel?’ and ‘How have governments and civil society in the Sahel responded to the EU strategy?’ In: L. Mouan, S. Massey and C. Thibos (eds.), ‘After the 'migration crisis': how Europe works to keep Africans in Africa’, Open Democracy.
- Stambøl, E. M. (2019) ‘Projecting European penal power beyond Europe: Humanitarian war on migrant smuggling in West Africa’, Border Criminologies.
- Stambøl, E. M. (2019) The EU’s fight against transnational crime in the Sahel. IES Policy Brief, Issue 2019/04. February 2019. Brussels: Vrije Universiteit Brussel.
- Strazzari, F. and E. M. Stambøl (2015) We Saw it Coming: Jihadist Terrorism, Challenges for the European Union. NUPI Policy Brief (13) 2015. Oslo: Norwegian Institute of International Affairs.
- Stambøl, E. M. (2015) Heads of States Can Change the Course of International Drugs Policy in 2016: Where does the EU stand? NUPI Policy Brief (16) 2015. Oslo: Norwegian Institute of International Affairs.