Dr. Elin Hellquist
Kolleg-Forschergruppe "The Transformative Power of Europe"
- 2015 - 2016: Parental leave
- 2014 - 2018: Swedish Research Council International Postdoctoral Fellow, Department of Political Science, Stockholm University, and Kolleg-Forschergruppe (KFG) ‘The Transformative Power of Europe’, Freie Universität Berlin
- 2013 - 2014: Parental leave
- 2012 - 2013: Postdoctoral fellow at the Kolleg-Forschergruppe (KFG) ‘The Transformative Power of Europe’, Freie Universität Berlin
- 2008 - 2012: PhD-Candidate in Political Science, European University Institute, Florence, Italy
- 2006 - 2008: PhD-Student and lecturer, Växjö/Linnaeus University, Sweden
- 2006: MSc in Political Science, Lund University, Sweden
- 2004: BA in French, University of Gothenburg, Sweden
Main Fields of Interest
- Sanctions and other Forms of Punishment in International Politics
- Regional Organizations as Actors in Regional and Global Governance (esp. EU, AU, Arab League, ASEAN)
- History of Regional Cooperation
- Norm Conflicts in Discourse and Practice
- Critical Social Constructivism, Interpretivism
Current Research Project
“Varieties of Punishment: Regional Sanctions in Theory and Practice” (3-year research grant from the Swedish Research Council). For further information on the project please click here.
This project is the continuation of the KFG-Research Project "Regional Organisations and Normative Discipline through Sanctions”.
There is a call for papers for a coming event. Fur further information click here.
2016: Either with us or against us? Third-country alignment with EU sanctions against Russia/Ukraine, in Cambridge Review of International Affairs 29, Published online: 18 October 2016. Available at http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/09557571.2016.1230591
2015: Shoddy Sanctions, in: The Disorder of Things, 24 November 2015. Available at: http://thedisorderofthings.com/2015/11/24/shoddy-sanctions/#more-10943
2015: Interpreting sanctions in Africa and Southeast Asia, in: International Relations, September 2015, 29, 319-333, doi:10.1177/0047117815600934 . Available in full text (open access) at: http://ire.sagepub.com/content/29/3/319.full.pdf+html
2014: Regional Organizations and Sanctions Against Members: Explaining the Different Trajectories of the African Union, the League of Arab States, and the Association of Southeast Asian Nations. KFG Working Paper No 59, January 2014, Free University of Berlin. Available in full text at: http://www.polsoz.fu-berlin.de/en/v/transformeurope/publications/working_paper/wp/wp59/index.html
2012: Creating 'the Self' by Outlawing 'the Other'? EU foreign policy sanctions and the quest for credibility. EUI PhD theses; Department of Political and Social Sciences Florence : European University Institute, defended 10 December 2012. Available in full text at: http://hdl.handle.net/1814/25199
co-authored with De Witte, B./Trechsel, A./Damjanovic, D./Hien, J. 2010: Legislating after Lisbon: New opportunities for the European Parliament, EUDO Report 2010/1, Florence: Robert Schuman Centre.