Institut für Sozial- und Kulturanthropologie
Wiss. Mitarbeiter und Doktorand (Prof. Dr. Thomas Stodulka)
DFG-Projekt: "Afflicted Minds – ‘Madness’, Morality, and Emotions in rural Bali (and Timor)"
Focusing on the islands of Bali (Florin Cristea) and Timor (Thomas Stodulka) in Indonesia and also Timor-Leste, this project contributes to current debates on mental health experience. Whereas Bali has established itself as a hub for international cooperations, travelling concepts and transnational mental health experts, the island of Timor contrasts through almost exclusive local healingscapes. Based on professional networks already initiated during previous and exploratory fieldwork, this project is well connected to the local and international institutions working on mental health and illness on the two islands. Second, it investigates the illness experience associated with severe psychiatric disorders as intertwined moral, cognitive, and emotional processes. This analytic link promises to provide an in-depth description of how global knowledge flows influence personal and social illness trajectories and outcomes outside of the Global North, by methodologically particularlizing the diverse Balinese and Timorese therapeutic landscapes.
- Cristea, Florin. 2020. Voices from the Tea Fields. Diangostic Uncertainty and Moral Agency in a Psychiatric Hospital in NortheasternTanzania. Berlin, Germany: Weissensee Verlag. (published MA thesis).
- Cristea, Florin, Heide Weishaar, Brogan Geurts, Alexandre Delamou, Melisa Mei Jin Tan, Helena Legido-Quigley, Kafayat Aminu, et al. 2022. “A Comparative Analysis of Experienced Uncertainties in Relation to Risk Communication during COVID19: A Four-Country Study.” Globalization and Health 18 (1): 66. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12992-022-00857-x.
- Pozo-Martin, Francisco, Heide Weishaar, Florin Cristea, Johanna Hanefeld, Thurid Bahr, Lars Schaade, and Charbel El Bcheraoui. 2021. “The Impact of Non-Pharmaceutical Interventions on COVID-19 Epidemic Growth in the 37 OECD Member States.” European Journal of Epidemiology 36 (6): 629–40. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10654-021-00766-0.
- Cristea, Florin. 2019. “What’s in a Name? Diagnostic Uncertainty and Moral Experience in a Mental Hospital in the Tanga Region of Tanzania.” Medizinethnologie. Körper, Gesundheit, und Heilung in einer Globalisierten Welt.
- Crsitea, Florin. 2019. “The Hand of the Prophet. Understanding Coping Strategies by Means of the Senses.” In Visions4People. Artistic Research Meets Psychiatry., authored by Tyyne Claudia Pollmann, 226. Berlin, Germany: Jovis Verlag GmbH. (Summary of the Photo Essay with the same title presented during the Visions4People exhibition 29.01. – 07.02.2018, Campus Senat für Kultur und Europa)