“Affective visuals in online spaces: A study of social movements in a digital era” is the working title of a project that stems from an understanding of visual sphere on social media and digital platforms as a space of everyday political contention and domination. It aims at exploring and analyzing the contemporary visual practices within the context of political struggle, by focusing on translations between photography and illustrations. Two major events in Turkey's recent political and social history, Gezi Protest Movement of 2013 and Anti-Coup Resistance of 2016 are selected as case stories.
- Visual Sociology
- Digitality and Social Media
- Social Movements
- Social Semiotics
- Affect Theory
Please see https://fu-berlin.academia.edu/RagipZik for an up-to-date list of publications
- Zik, M. Ragip. (forthcoming in 2018). Visuals and salient identities: construction of “Gezi Spirit” through images as a multifaceted identity. TransScripts 7.
- Zik, M. Ragip. 2015. Raising a Resistance: Reinterpreting Art within Gezi Movement, Pp. 535-543 Global Activism: Art and Conflict in the 21th Century, edited by Peter Weibel. Cambrigde, MA: ZKM | Karlsruhe and MIT Press.
- Zik, M. Ragip and Cécile Barbeito. 2013. “Still Waiting for Peace…” Coyote, 19:42-46, Strasbourg: Council of Europe Publishing.
- Zik, M. Ragip. 2009. “Avrupa’da Sivil Toplum ve Sosyal Merkezler Örneği (Civil Society in Europe and ‘Social Centers’ Example)”, Kelebek Etkisi, special issue:23-25, Istanbul (in Turkish).
Conferences & Interactive Presentations
- Artist/Researcher, “Workshop: Narrating Images”, Center for Art and Urbanistics (ZK/U), Berlin, 22 Mar 2018
- Artist/Researcher, “Card Game: Errant Iconographies”, Center for Art and Urbanistics (ZK/U), Berlin, 22 Feb 2018
- Artist/Researcher, “Mini Interactive Exhibition: Images that Move (Us)”, Center for Art and Urbanistics (ZK/U), Berlin, 25 Jan 2018
- Speaker, “Affective Visuals in Online Spaces”, German Anthropology Association Conference, Berlin, 5-8 October 2017
- Speaker, “Digitality and Everyday Life: affective interactions across Greece and Turkey through visual images”, Crossroads in Cultural Studies, Sydney, 14-17 December 2016
- Speaker, “Digitality and Emotions in Social Movements”, Turkologentag European Convention on Turkic, Ottoman and Turkish Studies, Hamburg, 14-17 September 2016
- Speaker, “Digitality and Circulation of Affect in Contemporary Social Movements”, Re-Configurations, History, Remembrance and Transformation Processes Academy, Tunis, 28 August - 4 September 2016
- Speaker, “Digitality, Visual Rhetoric and Affect Circulation in Contemporary Social Movements”, European Consortium for Political Research Graduate Student Conference, Tartu, 11-14 July 2016
- Speaker, “Making Encounters through Art: a case story from Turkey”, with Research Institute Turkey at Left Forum, New York, 29-31 May 2015
- Keynote speaker, “Young People as Actors of Peace-building in Europe”, Council of Europe Parliamentary Assembly Sub Committee on Education and Youth, Strasbourg, 28 January 2015
- Speaker, “Exhibition: 20 Dollars 20 Kilos”, Historical Culture in Divided Societies: From Theory to Practice Conference, Home for Cooperation, Nicosia, 18-20 December 2014
- Speaker, “Interventions through Art in Social Movements: The Case of Gezi”, Global Activism Symposium, ZKM, Karlsruhe, 24-25 January 2014
Memberships & Affiliations
- Since 2017: Member of Visual Sociology Research Committee at the International Sociological Association
- Since 2016: Member of Society and Emotions Thematic Group at the International Sociological Association
- Since 2011: Member of Trainers’ Pool of Council of Europe for Human Rights Education
- 2000-2015: Has been affiliated to Association for Cultural Studies, Society for Turkic, Ottoman and Turkish Studies, Association for Independent Research, Information, and Communication (BABIL), Fair Trade Hellas, Service Civil International Italy (SCI), Hangar Art Association, Turkish-Greek Student Society (TurGreSoc), and European Students’ Forum (AEGEE-Istanbul).