Job Opening: Research Assistant (Praedoc) (m/f/d) with 3/4-part-time job limited to 5 years Entgeltgruppe 13 TV-L FU
Application Deadline: 19.06.2023
News from Jun 05, 2023
We are hiring a research associate to carry out their doctoral studies at the unit of Methods in Empirical Social Research (Dr. Bruno Castanho Silva). We work on how to use cutting-edge research methods to better understand some of the main issues in society and politics today, such as populism, the role of social media in politics, democracy, and political representation. The position offers the opportunity to conduct independent research on the empirical application of quantitative methods in social sciences research, broadly construed, and involvement in the research and methods teaching activities of the Institutes of Sociology and Otto Suhr Institute of Political Science.
The reference code for the position is: Praedoc-Methoden-2023
• Carrying out your own research to obtain a doctorate in Sociology or Political Science
• Participation in research and teaching in social science methods
• Support with examinations and supervision of undergraduate students
The Job serves for your own scientific qualification.
A Master in Sociology, Political Science, or a related discipline
• Good knowledge of quantitative methods in social scientific research, ideally with experience in one of the following: causal inference, experiments, text analysis, advanced regression, or survey-based methods
• Knowledge of the R programming language, or willingness to learn
• Interest in the application of quantitative methods to substantive topics in Sociology or Political Science
• Proficiency in written and spoken English
• A commitment to academic training and mentoring that supports excellence
• A good work-life balance
• International academic collaboration
• Participation in a diverse and vibrant community
• Opportunities to attend international conferences, summer schools, and other academic activities within and outside the department
• Genuine interest in university teaching
• Good communication and teamwork skills
The team of Methods in Empirical Social Research explicitly encourages women and members of underrepresented groups to apply. We welcome applications from all qualified candidates, and value diversity and inclusivity in our community.
Please send us your online application in English (consisting of a motivation letter, a curriculum vitae, a 5-page proposal for the doctoral project, copies of relevant certificates, and contact details of two academic references) by the indicated application deadline to Prof. Dr. Bruno Castanho Silva via firstname.lastname@example.org.
For further information, please contact Antonia Hausen (email@example.com/ 03083857651).
Applications should be sent by e-mail, together with significant documents, indicating the reference code, in PDF format (preferably as one document) to Mr. Prof. Dr. Bruno Castanho Silva: firstname.lastname@example.org or postal to
Freie Universität Berlin
Fachbereich Politik- und Sozialwissenschaften
Institut für Soziologie
Methoden der Empirischen Sozialforschung
Mr. Prof. Dr. Bruno Castanho Silva
14195 Berlin (Dahlem)
With an electronic application, you acknowledge that FU Berlin saves and processes your data. FU Berlin cannot guarantee the security of your personal data if you send your application over an unencrypted connection.