Univ.-Prof. Dr. Thomas Risse
Freie Universität Berlin
Otto-Suhr-Institute for Political Science
Center for Transnational Relations, Foreign and Security Policy
Professor of International Relations
Director of the Center
Due to the current circumstances (Covid 19), consultation hours are only available online. For appointments please contact the secretariat per mail (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Prof. Dr. Thomas Risse is director of the Center for Transnational Relations, Foreign and Security Policy at the Otto-Suhr- Institute of Political Science at the Freie Universität Berlin.
Born in 1955, he received his PhD from the University of Frankfurt in 1987. From 1997-2001, he was Joint Chair of International Relations at the European University Institute's Robert Schuman Centre for Advanced Studies and the Department of Social and Political Sciences in Florence, Italy. His previous teaching and research appointments include the Peace Research Institute Frankfurt, the University of Konstanz, as well as Cornell, Harvard, Yale and Stanford Universities, the University of Wyoming and the Hebrew University in Jerusalem.
In 2003 he was awarded with the Max-Planck Research for international cooperation. In 2021 he was honoured with the Juan Linz Price by the International Political Science Association.
Thomas Risse is engaged in many academic projects, both in research and teaching. Below you can find a selection pof his doings.
- Dean of the Department of Political and Social Sciences (2019 – 2021)
- Director of the Berlin Center for Research and Graduate Training (BIRT) and the Berlin Graduate School for Transnational Studies (BGTS), both being part of the Cluster of Excellence Contestations of the Liberal Scripts (SCRIPTS)
- Member of the Senat and the Main Committee of the Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft (DGAP)
- Member of the Steering Committee "Knowledge Exchange" of the Berlin University Alliance
- Member of the scientific advisory board of the Fritz Thyssen Foundation
- Member of the Presidium and the scientific advisory board of the German Council on Foreign Relations (DGAP)
- Former speaker of the Research Center 700 "Governance in Areas of Limited Statehood", funded by the German Research Foundation (DFG) (2006 – 2017)
- Former Co-director of the Kolleg-Forschergruppe "The Transformative Power of Europe"
Thomas Risse is the author of many pulications. Below you can find a selcetion of those. For a complete list and further information please see his CV, that is attached below.
- The Persistent Power of Human Rights (Cambridge University Press, 2013, with Stephen C. Ropp and Kathryn Sikkink)
- Let's Argue! Persuasion and Deliberation in International Relations (International Organization, 2000)
- A Community of Europeans. Transnational Identities and Public Spheres (Cornell University Press, 2010)
- Cooperation among Democracies. The European Influence on U.S. Foreign Policy (Princeton University Press, 1995)
- (Co-)editor of the Oxford Handbook of Comparative Regionalism (Oxford University Press, 2016, with Tanja A. Börzel)
- European Public Spheres. Politics is Back (Cambridge University Press, 2015)
- “External Actors, State-Building, and Service Provision in Areas of Limited Statehood” (Special Issue of Governance, 2014, with Stephen Krasner)
- Handbook of International Relations(Sage, 2002/2012, with Walter Carlsnaes and Beth Simmons)
- Governance Without a State? Policies and Politics in Areas of Limited Statehood (Columbia University Press, 2011)
- SFB Projekt A1 - Contributions to Theory Building
- Kolleg-Forschergruppe der DFG „The Transformative Power of Europe“
- Sustainable Development Reflexive Inputs to World Organisation
- TRANSWORLD: Redefining the transatlantic relationship and its role in shaping global governance
- Global Pathways: Knowledge Diffusion in International Relations Research
- The European Union and Eastern Partner Countries - An Inside-Out Analysis and Strategic Assessment (EU- STRAT)
- Cluster of Excellence SCRIPTS - Contestations of the Liberal Script