Springe direkt zu Inhalt

FAQ for Employees at the Institute of Social and Cultural Anthropology

This overview serves as orientation and assistance for possible questions that may arise before you start working or during the time you work at the institute.

Note: This overview is in progress and will be constantly enriched with further informations and resources.

Which are the Steps you Need to Undergo first as a New Employee?

On the first day at FU according with your contract, you need to report start of service by email, telephone or in person to the secretary's office:

Sekretariat I (Bärbel Schiller (until 31.12.2022) and Ivonne Gutierrez (up to 01.01.2023)
Landoltweg 9-11, Room 011
Email: sozkultanth@polsoz.fu-berlin.de
Tel. 030 838 56505


Sekretariat II (Stéphanie Herber)
Thielallee 52, Room 005
Email: ifska-thiel52@polsoz.fu-berlin.de
Tel. 030 838 50038

Please inform them that you have started your service. The secretary's office will send a so-called "Dienstantrittsbescheinigung" to your responsible personnel office. This confirmation contains in CC also the notification for the superior professor, the sekr. II and the personnel department in the FB PolSoz, as well as the IT office PolSoz.

Given the case that the secretary's offices are not staffed, the notice on entering of service can also be issued and sent by the superior professor.

The next steps you need to take are:

  • getting up your personal FU employee email account.
  • programming the telephone set at your workplace with your personal FU employee telephone number
  • obtaining your electronic key ("transponder") from the FB PolSoz key department.

These steps are all explained in detail under the other FAQ items here.

After signing your employment contract it is necessary to get in touch with the central facility for data processing (Zentraleinrichtung für Datenverarbeitung, Zedat) at the FU in order to set up your email account.

All employees at the FU need to have an email account to get several services at the university such as:

  • access to workstations managed by the IT office PolSoz,
  • access to your email account
  • administrative IT systems
  • use of the telephone system
  • access to the institute's internal printer network
  • access to the FU blackboard for courses

among others.

But not not only for authentication purposes. An account of the FU allow you to receive additional rights on some propietary systems.

After signing the contract and before starting to work, newly hired employees usually receive an email with a link that you need to set up your email account, which will be activated by the Zedat user service. If this is not the case before starting to work, please contact the ZEDAT user service with this issue (Zedat-Benutzerservice).

Further information on managing your account can be found on the Zedat introductory page for employees (Zedat-Einführungsseite für Beschäftigte).

Once you have created an email account and it has been activated by the Zedat user service, get in touch with the secretary office I (email: sozkultanth@polsoz.fu-berlin.de) or IT support of the Institute of Social and Cultural Anthropology so that your account can be bundled with the institute resources you will need.

You can find here further information about accessing and integrating an email account. For additional advice and further assistance please contact:

Your services at the FU are automatically bounded to a specific telephone number.

After reporting your start of service, the Zedat portal creates a personal email account.

A telephone is usually available on the new employee's desk and only needs to be activated with the code you receive with a confirmation email. Please visit the Zedat portal under settings to see adittional information.

The personal PIN you received from the Zedat portal can also be defined under this menu item, which (as well as the Zedat account) is required for the login.

Please get in touch with our IT support at the Institute of Social and Culture Anthropology (currently Tom Lagodny) if you need further assistance.

Krankmeldung, Urlaub, Dienstreisen, Entsendungen

4 to 6 weeks before you travel, you will have to:

  1. Fill in the form "Business trip application" (=Dienstreiseantrag). Since you have to indicate funding, ask your PI to give you the account number of your project (="Fonds") as well as the corresponding cost unit (=”Kostenstelle”).
Follow this link to download the form: https://www.fu-berlin.de/sites/abt-1/formulare/05dienstreisen
(Click on „Formulare für die Beantragung und Abrechnung von Dienstreisen“; and then: “Antrag auf Genehmigung einer Dienstreise (PDF, englische Version)“)

2. After filling out the form, get it signed by your PI – don´t forget to sign and date it yourself!
3. Gather the following additional documents:

          • A letter of explanation for the trip (why you are going there, what you will be doing there, etc.), dated and signed. Your supervisor must also sign it!
          • A letter of invitation, if any.
          • A program of the conference/ workshop.
          • Notification from the German Foreign Office about the Covid situation in the country.
            • Confirmation from the funding organisation (if you have third-party funding).

4. Bundle all these documents into a single PDF document. Title it: MyName_DR Application_MyDestination_Time   Period. Send your application to the person in charge of business trips in your department (NOT the central administration!

5. Wait for confirmation and approval.

 Only after you have received confirmation of your application can you travel - and have the costs reimbursed.

How do I Apply for Reimbursement of my Expenses?

In the case of a business trip as well as a secondment, the form for reimbursement of travel expenses (="travel expense statement") must be submitted within 6 months after the return.

STEP 1: Fill in the form

You can download the form here:


Click on the first heading " Formulare für die Beantragung und Abrechnung von Dienstreisen” (=“Forms for Requesting and Settling Business Travel"), then on “Formular für die Abrechnung der Reisekosten” (="Form for Settling Travel Expenses"). English and German available.

If you had only one destination, the document is called "Annex 3" / If you had several destinations, it is "Annex 1".

Download the document and fill it out:

  • On the first page with the details of your trip, as you did when you applied for business travel.
  • On the second page, list the total expenses for which you are claiming reimbursement. This is then your "Table of Costs / Expenses". Please leave the amount in the original currency (do not convert to EUR). If you no longer have a receipt for a particular invoice, note it clearly.

It is REQUIRED that you keep all your receipts in the original and scan them.

It is ESSENTIAL that you provide proof of payment (e.g. bank statement) for each invoice (including train tickets!).

If you have more than 10 receipts:

  • Create a file with a new table explaining which receipt is in which place in the cost table.
  • Arrange the receipts by date.
  • Number each receipt/ or the page on which you scanned the receipt.
  • Have each receipt clearly correspond to the cost table listed.


STEP 2: Find approved mission/ secondment

If you apply for reimbursement, it means that your mission/expedition has been approved IN ADVANCE.

How do you know this? You (or the secretariat, at your request) sent the completed travel request form to the Travel Office of your Department on time. The departmental travel office has returned the form to you with the signature of the departmental finance department.

Attention. The professor's signature does NOT constitute approval of a business trip!

STEP 3: Collect proof of payment

Since you are claiming a refund, you must first prove that you actually paid these amounts. To do this, you need proof of payment for each amount indicated in the cost table.


STEP 4: Classify receipts and supporting documents

Match each receipt to its proof of payment.


STEP 5: Create a single PDF file

This PDF file should contain the following elements:

1.Travel Expense Report form (=Appendix 3 or 1).

2.Approved business trip

3.Receipts and their proof of payment, ORDERED

(if applicable: add your form to the approved advance payment)

STEPT 6: Send all forms AND canned receipts to the department's business travel office

To apply for reimbursement of costs, please submit a single PDF file to the business travel office of the department.

Name your file "Travel expense report_your name_your business trip location_your business trip date"

Send your documents (by Fachpost if it is a large statement) to:

Business travel matters / excursions


Ihnestraße 21
Raum 211
14195 Berlin





Berlin Southern Theory Lecture